Total Pageviews

Monday, May 6, 2013

Destino



I have been in Malaga, Spain for nearly a week come Wednesday. It seems almost as I never left from when I went to school here in 2011. I jumped right back into things, no culture shock, no being lost or anything. the only difference this time around is all my friends from my study abroad group are not here, and all the Spanish friends I had made are all gone to pursue opportunities in other parts of Europe. My return could not have started any better as I was able to take a boat ride on the mediterranean sea, first thing. It was nice to get out on the sea and relax and have a few cruz campos. i also got to take a picture with the captain and use a captains hat, something I had always wanted to do coming from the mountains of colorado. Later that night, a friend I met online, offered to meet at the beach for some sangria. It was amazing meeting for the first time in person and engaging in conversation about culture, and politics, and education, and future and things of that nature. I try to learn everywhere I go, and through everyone I meet, and I did so with her. I am blessed to have met her and made a friend in another part of the world and hope to one day visit in the country of Latvia.
The days have already begun to blur together. But I do remember turning into a beach bum and re acclimating to all the beautiful sights the city has to offer. I visited the old roman ruins beneath the alcazaba, an old moorish castle, and gathered my thoughts for a little and peered into the past. The hostel I was staying at seemed quite chaotic, but fun for those who prefer that lifestyle. I was hardly there, as I had already knew what I wanted to do and see. I know one of the nights I became a little agitated because I woke up to the sound of a few people having sex a few feet away from me and not really trying to be quiet or nothing. So I threw on my headphones and fell asleep. I repeatedly tried to get to my host moms place when she was there and missed her a few times but did make it eventually and it was so amazing to meet with her again. She was very pleasantly surprised. I was roughly 200 pounds last time I was here and now I hover around 170. I distinctly remember her remembering me as a little bit "gordito" last time I was here. I had a drink with her and her 2 grandkids a night later and i remember her getting on one of them about eating chips or anything, because he was already a little gordito according to her. It bothers her when her kids, grandkids are unhealthy because she wants them to be active and "deportivos". I totally understand, and can attest as to why. life for me was quite different when I was bigger. I definitely noticed the difference when I made my return to the top of the Gibralfaro, an old moorish castle that sits atop the city overlooking the sea and city. It was honestly quite a challenge for me and I remember sweating so much and breathing so hard when my friends and I would go to the top, which we did nearly every night before we left last time. This time now that I did it, it was a piece of cake. You have to really climb, literally, to the top because the path is very windy and steep and you literally walk at an angle going up or coming down. It is well worth it when you get to the top. This is what you are rewarded with when you get up there, not hard to be a photographer here:
Another thing I did when I got to the top was go inside of the castle, for a couple euro. It was quite amazing. They had a little replica model of the castle, and the alcazaba on the hill as well as military uniforms of the Spanish as they changed throughout time. Having some spanish ancestry, from before the conquistadors came, it was a cool experience for me. I then walked all around the castle on the inside and along the edges. I can see why the moors built this place, its breath taking. I thought about all the people when it was flourishing who used to be here and raise families and have gatherings and what not. It was probably such a grand place back then. Superior location also because you could see anyone coming from very far away, on the ocean or down below. I can see why they built the path up there the way they did; if an enemy army was coming from the bottom trying to march up, all youd have to do is roll a giant boulder down and wipe em out. I saw what appeared to be archers posts and things of that nature in different corners.
I also found a gem on top of the AC hotel here. There was some flamenco/modeling thing going on down below when I went. It provided another amazing view of the city and the sea from up top and you can also enjoy the restaurant at the top and have a beer or wine or what have you. Its now one of my favorite spots. Sunday marked my last day in the hostel, because I only wanted to stay 5 days and see what other option were available after that. God works in mysterious ways, because as I was talking with my host mom, she said she was only going to have one student for the month at her house, and if I wanted to stay with her, I could and she would cook and do laundry and all that, like old times. Another way of god proving to me he exists, because the chances of the timing of that to be so perfect are impossible to comprehend. Her 2 students that were here left sunday, the last day I was in my hostel. She said she would do it for 20 euro a day, which is expensive for me, but I wanted to help her because she would only have 1 student for the month, and she could help me also save money for not eating in the streets while providing with an unmatched comfort level no one else here could. She is an angel, and to me is family. This solidifies that, and she considers me family also. Its amazing. I am so blessed. On saturday, I saw a poster for a bullfight in Marbella on Sunday. I HAD to go, its been a dream to watch a bullfight and was unable to last time because the season was long over. I had already knew how to get a bus to some of the other coastal towns along Andalucias coast. So Sunday, I packed all my stuff at the hostel, left my discoteca shoes because they would not fit, and because I had to buy another pair of walking shoes anyway. They left my feet with blisters and because I walk everywhere, were quite uncomfortable. I used them Saturday to get into a club I wanted to always go in but was denied last time because of my sneakers, and did so, so I just left them. One of the nights, I decided to buy some sangria and head to the beach rather than go back to my hostel or downtown, since I had some wine glasses a great friend generously donated me a few nights before. I was going to sit there are reflect and appreciate where I was in life, and I was approached by a gentleman. He simply asked for a lighter, and I had bought some cuban cigaritos I fell in love with last time I was here and had one. That turned into a couple hour conversation about educational systems, music, culture, traveling, learning and just a dam good conversation to have with anyone. He was a student from Germany who was kind of just out here floating around Andalucia, as was I. Just another one of those weird coincidences and instances where you meet great people through either a higher power, or the energy of the universe or what have you. I felt like I had made a friend in that short time, and asked me if I had been to Morocco before. I had been to fes the last time i was here with 2 friends and it was an enlightening experience to say the least. He had never been but really wanted to go and hoped to find someone to go with. I currently dont have the funds to do so, but if something becomes available, I would love to go back to Morocco a 2nd time. Again, it was someone I learned some things from simply from conversation. You can never learn too much, the brain is a sponge, and should always embrace education on any level. As a sponge gains water, it expands, so too does the brain. And then you spend a week keeping up with the kardashians while having dominos or mickey ds and all that water is squeezed out and released and it dries up. Not my desire. It is as essential to constantly exercise the brain, as it is the body. They are both one, part of the same system. I probably exerciser my brain a little more than my body, but hopefully that is starting to change, well it is with all the walking I do, but will begin running tomorrow if my legs feel better.
Sunday marked dia de la madre here in Spain. As soon as I left, there was a festival going on in the plaza nearby and flamenco guitars playing with dancers, it was amazing. I really truly enjoy experiencing culture in all of its facets and it was another opportunity. However, it was already around noon and I knew I still had to get to my host moms to drop stuff off, wish her a happy day, and get to Marbella by 5ish. I got to her house and gave her a rosary I had brought with me that I bought at the notre dame cathedral from my travels in paris. She was very happy. So I then proceeded to the bus station and got to Marbella about 3. I had no idea where exactly I was but i looked at a map briefly and knew the town wasnt too terribly big. So from the bus station, I could see the sea and walked toward it and wound up at a beautiful beach area. I hung out at the beach for about an hour or so and then took a taxi to the bullring and got there with an hour to spare.
The bullfight was an experience of a lifetime. With my spanish ancestry, I had always always wanted to see one. It definitely didn't disappoint. Being an american, I certainly have a heart for all animals and beings in the world, so the part where the bull is killed was a little rough, but when you realize that it is culture and precedes you, you live. I saw 4 bulls go down, but the grace with which the bullfighters played with them was special. a huge 1000 pound animal with horns charging at these men and they just step to the side with their capes and just dance with them and play with them. One bull was certainly hard to watch die, because of the amount of blood that began spewing from his mouth and nose, but I did. I know its banned in the Catalonia region of Spain, and I dont think they can kill them in the Basque country, but I can see why. It definitely isnt a sport for the faint at heart. I did it though, I got to see a bullfight for once, and it represented another dream turned reality. Ill never forget that experience as long as I live. After that, I thought I was cool and smart enough to just walk to the bus station from the bullring, allthough I had never been in this city before. Boy was I wrong. I wound up god knows where and almost walked out of marbella. So I had to turn around and only had an hour and a half to make it back to the station or id miss a bus i already paid for. I panicked a little but made it back to an area i was familiar with from earlier in the day near the beach and caught a taxi and made it just in time.
So today was a day where I wanted to chill out and not spend money that I really dont have and do something productive. I spent money to get an adaptor to use my laptop, so that I could get my resume finalized and begin looking for work in the US and perhaps here on craigslist and at my old college back home. I have also been collaborating with one of my spanish friends who is currently in denmark to network and meet more people, as well as figure out ways to market myself and help people with test preparations in english. I will work more on that tomorrow. I also got my linkedin profile updated and my resume should be done by tomorrow so I can start sending it out. We will see what god has in store. I am also waiting on some money from family back home and a friend so hopefully I can do the camino in a few weeks. I am not so sure that I will be able to do it financially at this point, because it largely depends on the funding I get from back home. But already, this has been a Camino in itself. My camino began the morning I graduated college I realize. God will understand if i cant do it this time around but also knows that I will make it happen another time because the world we live in requires money to do everything. I have ran into several unexpected expenses, but god willing family and friends will come through and I can atleast do it from Sarria while I am here. Or I will find a job helping with English or something that will allow to stay and save money for it. As i was reading a book called walk in a relaxed manner the other day on the beach, I had some epiphanies. The night before I had gotten pretty sad, realizing I was on the other side of the world by myself, and wanted more than i had in life, like a wife and kids. I became a little depressed, but when I read the chapter I was on, that all went away. The chapter was about cherishing the here and now, the present. We get so caught up in the future or the past, we fail to really appreciate what we have now, and thats what the chapter was all about. It made me look at everything differently. So I will appreciate what I have now and do what I can now, rather than think too much about the future or past and what I dont have. Because what I do have, is a good head on my shoulders, Im healthy as Ive been since high school, and my ambition mixed with my faith in god and the little angels he sends my way to help will get me by, it always has. I have never really had to worry when I look back on things. I am not rich by no means financially, nor is my family. We are quite poor actually. But I am rich in other aspects of life, and am getting richer with experience out here in the world on my own. Tomorrow I will get back to work in trying to make things happen, and likely take a break at the beach as I just rested at home today. My calfs are sore and swollen from all the walking all over I have been doing so I wanted to just take it easy today and use my computer to get some things done and I did. I also took about a 5 hour long siesta after I had some of my host moms pasta that I loved so much from the last time. Bueno, thank you for reading this. I was going to say, no matter who you are, you can add me on facebook so that you can see all the pictures and videos I have been taking. It is a nice visual representation of my journey so far. It is hard maintaining this blog, a facebook, an instagram, a linkedin account and a couple emails. So I likely wont post blogs as much, perhaps once a week or so but we can certainly be friends on facebook and you can see all the pics videos and albums. You are more than welcome to, stranger or whatever. My name is Brian albo Bettini on facebook, dont be afraid! I broke the 700 mark for people that have read my blog, which is extraordinary because when I reopened it recently after a year of inactivity, it was at around 200 i think. So thank you, your readership is greatly appreciated, and I hope to return the favor with more travels and journeys for your enjoyment and perhaps enlightenment. God will guide me wherever I go as he always has, and he will for you too if you believe in him, in yourself, and the goodness of the world. Buen Camino to you all, and until next time, take care.
the captain, and another sailor. Buen Camino!

No comments: